February 24, 2009

My Hair Affair

Today I found a Harry Connick Junior cd I had forgotten about...better than dark chocolate!

So I am working (on spreadsheets...) and making calls and spending a bit of time with Oh So Dreamy Boy-and my mind wanders...just a bit, as creative (because that sounds better than flighty) minds are prone to do. So I am thinking about Harry Connick Junior and how he has famously great hair (except when he cuts it shaggy because he decides to recreate himself as a boy from my senior class. Perhaps I can bore you with that another time...oh and explore the possibility of a federal mandate that would require him and any other man of my choosing to wear mob-style suspenders) Focus! Oh right, my Harry has Definitive Crooner ,Leader of the Band Hair...and sometimes wears suspenders...on those days I feed him treats-with my teeth. Okay, stopping now...

Naturally, I then reminisce about all the frivolous crushes I have had throughout my lifetime (not to be confused with my love for Harry- that's the real deal...we are going on eighteen years or so. Heehee.)Let me begin with those of the celebrity persuasion. Gradually, a coif commonality is identified. Elvis-Fifties Rock Star Hair, James Dean-Fifties Bad Boy Hair, Danny Zuko-More Fifties Bad Boy Hair, Michael Jackson (Thriller days)-Curly Tenril Hair, Eric Estrada- Cop Helmet Hair, Jamie Walters-haha Fifties Bad Boy Hair -although it was the early nineties. Luke Perry-more Fifties Bad Boy hair,Jason Priestly-Indulgent Nineties Big Man Hair/Fifties Jock Boy Hair,Johnny Depp (Chocolat Pirate Hair and *blush* 21 Jump Street Hair) Bill Bouillion- Beach Volleyball Boy Hair, Jordan Knight (Slick Boy Band Hair. In fact the New Kids redefined Boy Band Hair-Jordan just did it best) , Patrick Dempsey-McDreamy, Scream 3, Will and Grace Hair not Can't Buy Me Love Hair (that was...kinda like a chocolate poodle) , John Mayer (Sulky Grungy Musician Hair), Edward Cullen (More James Dean Hair-which he chopped. But it will be back, oh yes...it will be back! So glad it is not up to him.) Each object of my shameless, school girl celebrity crushes is in manly possession of serious hair flair. Career making hair...empire building hair...swooning and crooning hair...heart breaker hair...Independently, I have noticed each of their locks...but never made the group connection. I have had a secret hair obsession...me and obsessions. Go figure!

This leads to my thinking through my real live boyfriends and flirtations of the past...A virtual cornucopia of hair fascination.
Shannon-toddlerhood-shaggy sandy hair,straight up nursery school style.
Shayne kindergarten-blonde waivy hair-think Ricky Schroeder
Roman-third grade-raven hair-tail. Right-I said tail...and it went all the way down his back-like a skunk tail. Clear why that was so alluring...heeheehee
Steen- white blonde hair-fifth and sixth grade. I remember when he discovered product. Happy day!;0) Oh and he came to my costume/birthday party dressed as Billy Idol..Yay him!
Seventh grade-Tim, sandy beach hair that fell in his eyes and a toothpaste commercial smile..we used to chat it up between classes...I had plans, but was distracted by a muscley freshman.
ninth grade/tenth grade=David...dark curly hair that I used to loosen into big waves in the back...just for fun.
Heath- straggly devil may care hair...I know because the day I visited his school with my bf...we ditched and I tousled it while we smooched all day leaning against an alley wall. Very West Side Story...7
...Eleventh grade-Steve...rebel boy hair(not my boyfriend-but he has to make the hair list).
Brook-muscle jock boy boy hair...another interesting story that will I will spare you for now.
Bob-Sport caster hair...oh and he was an absolute giant-Like Anthony Robbins.
Mark-Kurt Cobain hair.
The list goes on-until I get to Shmoops...he has always had hair attitude...has been Emilio Estevez-esque and more recently Rascal Flatt-ish...trying to get him to go...short, chic and tufty. I am a suckor for burns though...not the huge lamb chop style or dagger ones.

Hair Affair...aptly named? Shake your head "yes" here.

Using my extensive Psychology background that I have mentioned previously, (i.e. Freshman year of college, back row) I tried to find some deeper reason for my hidden hair addiction-get to the root (more hair humor)...Certainly this attraction is not an outward manifestation of my personal hair obsession. My own hair is nothing but another accessory to me...it has been really long, fairly short, curly, straight...highlighted, lowlighted...every feasible color of the rainbow...let's not get crazy-er! You name it. My hair is subject to my every whim. Nothing exceptional about it...Not sure where the hair affinity came from. Not even reserved for the opposite sex. I am obsessed with 90's Supermodel hair. I think I am going to grow mine back out and try to bring back big glam hair. ... Btw courtesy of my sister's stylist Jody...my adopted hair philosophy is that once a woman reaches her late twenties...if she is not an exotic dancer or a cheerleader...her hair should not exceed the middle of her back. Beyond that, I miss bombshell hair...Claudia, Cindy, Elle...the list goes on... Hair Fascination may not be all that odd, I mean America is obsessed with Julia Robert's hair...so I guess I am not the only freaky deak in the house. Coiffure, fluff, fringe, mane, mop, tress, shocks, sideburns, shaggy....HAIR!!!... To be clear, facial or head...body hair should be sparing.

Cool hair...apparently yet ANOTHER obsession of mine. Guess I will just continue to go with the flow...Get it? Flowing locks...sorry, that was bad. I am aware-couldn't help myself.

Regardless, there is no denying it...I go all mushy over a great head of hair and it took me um..twenty nine years (wink, wink), to figure it out. Doesn't change anything, I suppose. In fact it explains a lot. The long and the short of it...(pun intended) is subconsciously, I have had a life long affair with hair. (Although bald is beautiful on Vin Diesel, Taye Diggs, Tyson Beckford and Bruce Willis...shout out-whoop, whoop!)

Who knew? Now I do and so do you...sorry about that.

Felt the need to share. Share how much I care about hair flair...okay time to say goodnight! Goodnight.

Be good to your hair...apparently it is hugely important.

1 comments:

Missy said...

My current crush is Jake Gyllenhaal. I don't know what it is about him that gets my blood boiling. Maybe it's his baby blue eyes.