November 30, 2008

Danny Zuko Does Drag

There are things in life that turn out to be far less than they promise. Typically that first relationship falls far short of the glass slipper image we may have formed as children. That pedicure with the perfect shade of red you bought in the interest of saving money on pedicures. Our first cars were far less (for most of us) than the Porsche we may have dreamed of...prom...Need I say more...? Now that macho leather jacketed, slick haired crooning Danny Zuko of our childhood days is STILL in musicals-but is now sporting drag...? Really?

Seriously! I kid you not! For those of you who grew up under a pop culture isolated rock- or in a non penetrable bubble robbed of such cult classics as "Summer Lovin'" and "You're the One That I Want", " "Greased Lightening"...Danny Zuko is John Travolta's character in Grease. Long before Pulp Fiction and an eternity before the High School Musical phenomenon...(? )which he is not in-but is seemingly a Disney-Grease rip off.

Here's the scoop or shall I call it a fall from grace?...So I consumed spicy chicken wings after eight-bad plan number one. My stomach is boycotting. So after I finish off half a bottle of Tums , Grey's Anatomy and an episode of Desperate Housewives off the DVR-I decide to watch Hairspray on On Demand (which I saw years ago in the Ricki Lake-John Waters variety, but other than the basic premise-remembered very little of). I KNEW that John Travolta was in the film-playing a LARGE woman and other than thinking that was an odd casting choice did not fully realize the long term emotional scarring actually SEEING this might cause.

His performance wasn't BAD. Other than that he played the wife of Christopher Walkin-weird enough all on its own...let it sink in...You threw up a bit in your mouth-right? We are talking JOHN TRAVOLTA here...may not be Girard Butler...but other than Girard- HAS to be one of the most macho males to grace movies of the musical variety. Grease, Urban Cowboy, Staying Alive, Saturday Night Fever...and then non musicals like Michael, Pulp Fiction, Get Shorty...even Wild Hogs- but surely you can see the inconsistency!

He had a bouffant and a moo moo...instead of a biker jacket, cowboy hat (albeit rhinestone encrusted), trench coat(insert other masculine wardrobe item here)...sang a romantic-ish ballad while waltzing with creepy Christopher Walkin...This MAY be lost on all of you...but as a (YOUNG) child of the 80's-I am quite possibly marred for my remaining years.

If you are in my dreamy Pink Lady boat and have not yet made the image shattering error of watching John Travolta in Hairspray...PLEASE turn back! See the error of MY ways (and in my opinion-John Travolta''s as well) The T-Birds would not approve and neither do I.

I leave you now to try to erase the image of the fat suited, fake eye lashed, lip stick wearing John Travolta for the hip thrusting, greasy hair slicking heart stealing Danny Zuko of old. I pray it's not too late. Out with the bad-in with the good...out with the bad, in with the good...


" I got Chills- they're MULTIPLYIN" and I'm LOS-In" con-trol...cause' the power you're supplyin' it's electrifyin'!"




Damned chicken wings!



Revisited this one because I am so very sad for John Travolta and his family and the loss of their son. My thoughts and prayers go out to them. I have friends and family who have lost children and it is something no parent should have to endure. No greater loss in all the world.

0 comments: