March 1, 2009

Purging with Tim Burton

So in an effort to lighten the mood...I broadened my horizons a bit today. I did a little Spring purging...that is the step (at least at my house) that must proceed the Spring Cleaning. You can't clean what you can't get to.... I know this is utterly undomesticated- almost un-womanly certainly not motherly of me- but although I like things to be clean. The act of cleaning brings me not a single ounce of joy. In fact, I sort of abhor it. This doesn't mean that I never do it. I tidy a lot...I really don't have a choice if I don't desire to be buried in Buzz Light-years,or meet an untimely death by tripping over My Little Ponies.

Running the vacuum, doing the dishes, washing clothes...all fall under the list of things that must be endured...But folding, putting away, scrubbing floors and cleaning bathrooms are torturous tasks that I usually wait until the last possible second and then knock it all out at once...sort of like tearing off a disgustingly rancid band-aid- still stings though. First, as I mentioned comes the purging...still working on that. I started to make stride in this area when we decided to take the Munchkins to see Coraline...so...I pushed the contractor bag overflowing with laundry aside...and with it the answer to the question, "How can it be that I have NOTHING to wear?"

Anyway, Coraline is an animated movie directed by Tim Burton. If you have not had the pleasure of seeing Edward Scissorhands or Nightmare Before Christmas, Corpse Bride,or James and the Giant Peach...you should definitely check them out. Unless you have an intolerance for the dark, creative genius variety of life. Then you should stay away...could give you a rash, or make your throat close up...I can't handle that kind of responsibility. Anyway, from what I understand-Coraline was a comic style book that was adapted to screenplay. About a little girl whose parents write botany magazines, I think. Anyway they move into this old house that is split into apartments with all sorts of eccentric characters occupying each one. Coraline feels alone and her busy parents don't have a lot of time for her, so when she receives a doll that looks like her from her neighbor Wyborn-she pretends to be annoyed while dragging it with her from room to room in her quest for entertainment. While on one of her in house adventures, Coraline finds a small door in the living room that is bricked up. The night that the doll arrives, Coraline dreams that she is lead my mice through the door into an alternate universe...where her house is warm and captivating and her parents adorably charming,fascinating and attentive...I found it a little eerie that the "other mother" resembles me quite a bit...from her exaggerated backside, to her choppy dark hair and red lips...eerie because she turns out to be all evil.

Anyway, thoroughly enjoyed it and as a result, did not one more bit of Spring Purging after I returned...Tomorrow perhaps...or atleast sometime before spring...maybe?

0 comments: