March 30, 2009

I Don't Like Mondays...

Tell Me Why...I don't like Mondays...I DON'T LIKE MONDAYS....

Not enough that it is true. Now we have to dwell on it because the song works it's way into our head and just sticks there...like toilet paper to our shoe. Ewww...

You know that one, right? Shooting it down seems a bit drastic...maybe just a smidge...

Who really does? Like Mondays, that is... Look at what music alone has to say about it...Manic Monday- kissing Valentino by the crystal blue Italian stream being the only real redeeming qualities to the entire day and that is only because her alarm hasn't roused her out of the fantasy and shattered her illusion to the harsh reality of Monday and what little-it has to offer her.

Monday, Monday...Can't Trust That Day......not looking so good.

I Don't Like Mondays...couldn't be more clear...Not a fan to be found.

What is it about Monday exactly-that makes it so difficult to endure...Like a Full House marathon...it seems to roll on and on- all up hill...in sweltering heat and you're wearing those pointy shoes that make that unbearable circular blister on your little toe that takes days to heal...

I will start with the obvious...

Going to Bed Early: Coming off of the weekend high, going to bed early Sunday so that we can drag ourselves out of bed on Monday begins the cycle of resentment that repeats every seven days. ...Preemptive as our attempts may be...going to bed early-Never DOES work anyway...because our brains and our bodies don't care that the boss expects us in at seven sharp- We have inadvertently altered our sleep cycle. Might as well face it...those eyes aren't shutting until 11:17pm. The more we stare at the clock- the more likely that we will be watching vacuum, work out DVD, mineral make up and multi level marketing commercials at one a.m.- with four hours left to sleep. Resist the urge to stare at those digital numbers...silently recite the lyrics to 80's rock ballads instead- much more conducive to sleep...

We both lie silently still
In the dead of night
Although we both lie close together
We're still miles apart inside
Was it somethin' I said, or somethin' I did-
did my words not come out right..."

Sleepy...right?

When I had a regular job...I would lay out my clothes,pack my bag, put everything into my car... Set my coffee on the timer to brew all by itself...best creature feature known to man...that and heated seats-which I no longer have. Sniff, sniff... Anything I could do to get me out of the house on time Monday...because I knew that my curled up snuggliness would be victorious over the drone of my alarm at five a.m. and that the chill of the bedroom floor could not compete for my affections with the perfect dent my head had worn into my feather pillow.

It also never fails that on the days I know that I have to rise early...I spend a half hour searching aimlessly for my emerald Too Face foil liner, my left vintage silver earring, or the lid to my pink coffee travel mug. Any item that hasn't been relevant enough to recall in the last month-suddenly becomes an urgent need. This defies explanation. Curse that Murphy and his blasted laws...heehee

Okay...so reason one for dreading Monday-Getting up early and not being able to sleep at a decent hour Sunday night...

Two- Ineffective use of preparation-getting ready time...often resulting in waves in the back of my hair and that sense that I have forgotten something that stays with me all day long.

Three -Surrendering the weekend...Think Surrendering the weekend is a the biggest deterrent to showing Monday some love...Underlying reason: the weekend allows us to cut loose- stay up late, play a little, do something simply because we FEEL like it.

Returning to the grind reminds us of our numerous responsibilities...Our grown up-ness...I hate to admit it, but my first REAL sign of optimism comes on Thursday. I don't know if this started when Friends used to run on Thursday night, or now because it is Grey's, Private Practice night...or if it has not a thing to do with Must See Tv (heehee) and it is simply because Thursday nestles at the bosom of Friday...but Thursday has been filled with the twinkle of optimism for me-as long as I can recall. Glimmer of hope...end in sight...light at the end of the work week tunnel. You know the bit.

Poor Monday- should be viewed as a new beginning. Fresh...invigorating...full of new challenges to be conquered... Not so much...Perhaps though, if we could change our perspective, tweak it here and there...we could do that whole "Accentuate the positive" thing...think how many Mondays we drag ourselves through in general distaste. Maybe they could be useful for something...Since the entire country is being moved by the spirit of conservation and all...maybe we could have a green view on Monday...not sure how that translates, but...

There has to be something redeeming about it...right?

We do HAVE to suffer through Monday in order to embrace Friday.

That's something...

Best not shoot Monday down just yet. Does serve it's purpose...

How about- I don't completely and utterly detest Mondays with every ounce f my composition...?

0 comments: